Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bread Tips

Question: "I'm starting to eat yeast containing products again after a long time of avoiding them. And, I make my own. OH1 another question, what do you think of soughdough bread. Back in EGW and Jesus days that is what they ate, but many people say it's not good." Gen

Answer: I like to rise bread only once so the yeast does not build up to much in the bread. It can create a yeasty or sour taste no matter how long you bake it.

I also use Lemon juice. It is used as a stabilizer which helps it rise but not rise too much. (As recommended on my store bought Whole Wheat Flour bag.) Many bakeries use vinegar in the same way.

Salt is another essential ingredient in quality bread production. It has several functions. It regulates fermentation. Too little salt causes the dough to ferment too fast and wild, while too much salt slows down the fermentation process. In the proper amount, salt produces good grain and texture, because it strengthens the gluten allowing it to fully mature during fermentation. It also prevents the growth of wild yeast and bacteria.

Hope that helps,
Angela Poch

No comments: